Friday, December 28, 2007

What makes the caged bird sing?

This week, while in Colorado with my wife's family, I read a bizarre graphic novel entitled "As the World Burns: 50 Things You Can Do to Stay in Denial". Derrick Jensen wrote it and it was illustrated by Stephanie McMillan. Very bizarre. And good. And, as Anna noted, possibly ok with eco-terror (I think I am saying that right).

So, there is an easy comparison between the way those alien robots and corporations devoured all the plants and trees and fishes and rocks... to the way I consumed new music this week. I studied, for the first time, David Bowie's "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars," Randy Newman's "Randy Newman (Creates Something New Under the Sun)," The Kink's (I need to listen more, yet) "Lola Versus Powerman," and did some connection making and researching on Van Dyke Parks' "Song Cycle". Apparently, Ziggy Stardust is Jimmie Hendrix. That's what I'm told. I will study on.

I am listening to all of this to find the sound. We are finding it, it is in us.

www.myspace.com/ohvoices

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, miss you guys.. especially Andrew.
-Hoping your garages never burn down again-
Best hopes to you all in 2008.

P.S. your music has really come a long ways, kudos.