Saturday, January 5, 2008

Time (the Revelator)



Gillian Welch - I say her name, and I warm up a bit. My life and music are significantly connected to her music and what it implies. Two guitars, two vocals, and perfection. Here's some personal data for you (for me).
When I was 21 and living in Chattanooga, TN, I was introduced to Gillian's music, being told, "'GILL' not 'JILL'". I was doing a lot of driving around at the time for work, and I was up at all hours doing it, so I had a lot of time to listen. Previously, I hadn't listened to much folk or country music. It was around that time that I first got into some blues, namely, Robert Johnson. (I recall going into this hippie/spiritual/record/book/art store next to the Mudpie Restaurant I worked at, and picking up Robert - Oh the intrigue! Oh the amazing singing and playing!) Well, my girlfriend had seen her play several times, and I was driving around all night singing and emoting over her songs - listening to the possibilities, so we bought tickets to her show at Chattanooga's Rhythm and Brews. A lovely small venue. They brought the brews and grub right to our folding chair seats in the third or fourth row. She could have spit in our food.
I'll take a larger aside here to be funny. You know those adds for movies and books saying, "BREATHTAKING!" or "RIVETING!" or even "SENSUAL to the CORE!" Well, my favorite one is
"SPELLBINDING!"
And that's what Gillian and David Rawlings (her amazing guitar wizard) were that night. Ever since, I have enriched myself with countless hours listening to her ideas, expression, and notable guitar tone. There have been months where I only listen to Time (the Revelator) or Revival over and over. She is definately the one for me. The one I go to. I do have musical and emotional needs, and Time (the Revelator) is the teat that feeds me when I am hungry.
So, a few bits of information about this Gillian and this album before I quit....
1. Her whole discography is excellent and shows a definite musical progression. Check it out.
2. You know her music from "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"
3. Bright Eyes, Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson, Old Crow Medicine Show, and T-Bone Burnett among many others love her music, play with her, or have her make guest appearances. Ryan Adams too (not that I like his catalog - I am judgemental).
Tracks to check out on Time (the Revelator):
Track 1. Listen to that guitar tone.
Track 2. The banjo really grew on me, so loud and strong. Try listening to it and ignoring the vocals, just to hear the great instrumentation. Also, on the Revelator dvd, which I recommend you watch, and possibly on YouTube, there is a great in-studio version of this song - "My First Lover".
Track 3. Even if you don't want to love Gillian Welch you will love this song. Floating guitars and vocals.
Tracks 5 & 8 use interesting historical references to "Ruination Day" which is April 14. It is the day that the great dust storm happened in the dust bowl, President Lincoln was shot, and the Titanic sank.
Track 9. Everybody loves it everyone covers it and it might be about the music industry and people acquiring music for free.
Track 10. Don't get me wrong, I listen to it all the way through, its just time for lunch... This song is 14 minutes long, beautiful, sad and amazing.

Listen to Gillian Welch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to give you a little written encouragement; although many people probably don't even know that you're taking the time to voice your opinion here (yet), I say, "don't give up!" You're writing interesting things and I for one take the time to read them because I care about what you have to say.. so don't feel discouraged if no one is commenting on your blogs. I don't know if you were, but hopefully not... I know it's rough starting out though

Love you man!

Anonymous said...

The more I listen to Gillian Welch, the more I realize she is remarkable, a real artist. It feels pure, in a way that very little music, at least popular music, is pure these days. Am ashamed to say, though, that aside from what you gave me, I only own the O Brother soundtrack. Now I'm curious about her progression. I appreciate the energy you devote to her. I remember when your go-to band was Squad Five-O. Gill's not the only one with progression.

Anonymous said...

wait wait wait a second
everything was going along fine as I read this blog until you said you don't like ryan adams and i have to ask
WHY!?

for me, it's love. so...
just curious.

H